Norway, the land of Ulver, comes to life with their new release “Blood Inside.” It is hard to explain what type of music they play even though they are listed under the Black Metal genre.
Ulver could be classified as a black metal Pink floyd. “Dressed in Black” the opening track is made up of synthesizers and haunting voices. Track-two “For the Love of God” is basically the same thing but with vocals by Kristoffer G. Rygg that uses a lot of echo and reverb, that goes nowhere. I mean if you were drinking or smoking a bone this would be such a great CD. The CD to me is head music. It is just a bunch of jumbled up music with some wacky vocals. The band uses bells or chimes on some of the songs and the vocals are set back and hard to hear at points.
During the song “Christmas” the keyboards sounds like you were on the operating table, the monitor goes flat line, and then you hear singing the word AH for a minute or so. This song should have been called Flat line. If you’re a pink floyd fan, you might love this CD. But expect a different turn of musically style.
“Blinded by Blood” is a cool song that gives you a feeling of the second coming of the new world. Most of the songs are slow with the exception of “It is not Sound.” It is more of experimental synthesizer music. Like the acid years of the sixties. This could make a good sound track.
- Kristoffer G. Rygg (aka Garm) - Vocals
- Jorn H. Sveren
- Tore Ylwizaker
- Bosse - guitar solo on 'For The Love of God.'
- Czral - drums on 'Operator.' Courtesy Snapper Music and Tyrant Syndicate.
- Jeff Gauthier - violin on 'Your Call.' Courtesy Cryptogrammophone Records.
- Harvard Jorgensen - guitar on 'Dressed in Black,' 'For the Love of God' and 'Your Call.'
- Mike Keneally - guitar on 'Christmas,' solo on 'Operator.' Courtesy Exowax Recordings.
- Andreas Mjosa - vibraphone on 'Blinded by Blood' and 'In the Red. 'Courtesy Ninja Tune Records.
- Maja S. K. Ratkje - choir on 'Your Call.' Courtesy Rune Grammofon.
- Knut Aalefjaer - drums and percussion on 'For the Love of God,' 'Christmas'
- Dressed in black
- For the love of God
- Blinded by blood
- It is not sound
- The truth
- In the red
- Your call